The headline news is that this is an initially very gentle-paced introduction to logic by trees, though it does get as far as a completeness proof for quantificational logic (included for enthusiasts). Until I retired, it was the text book for the compulsory first-year logic course for Cambridge philosophers. Click on the thumbnail of its cover to go to the publisher’s page for the book. And from there you look at the table of contents and a short excerpt.
The book was reprinted in April 2009, and I took the opportunity not only to correct known typos but to make many small improvements to the content too. This version was reprinted another four times. Then in late 2013 I had the opportunity to make more corrections (this time just minor ones) for the seventh printing. The book has now been reprinted for the eighth time.
NB: A corrected reprint doesn’t count as a new edition so it doesn’t have a new ISBN, and so bookshops can’t undertake to give you the very latest printing. Still, the original printing is long sold out, so one of the revised versions will be what is supplied by bookshops, Amazon, etc. The latest version — the identical seventh/eighth printings — should by now have propagated through the distribution systems. You can tell which version you have in your hand by looking at the verso of the title page.
There following support materials are available:
- The corrections page for the first printing. (This gives a fairly complete list of the major outright typos in the first printing. But note, the list does not catalogue all the little improvements in the second printing where the text has been improved.)
- A corrections page for the printings from the second to the sixth inclusive. (There were still far too many small typos, though only a small handful could cause any problem.)
- The answers to nearly all the end-of-chapter exercises in the book.
- The Worksheets for the last iteration of my Cambridge 1A course.
- Some lecture overheads, additional draft chapters and various handouts.
- The nextstep after IFL?